Alberta legislation Emergency Management Act requires requires each municipality to have an emergency management plan. Known as a Municipal Emergency Plan (MEP), the plan must include an Emergency Management Committee, an Emergency Management Agency and a Director of Emergency Management.
Are you prepared for an Emergency?
- How to build an emergency kit
- Hazard preparedness Learn about hazards in Alberta and how you can be better prepared.
- 72 Hours: Is your family prepared?
- Make an emergency plan
Now that many of us are spending more time outdoors in our communities, it’s easier to get to know the people who live around us. Connections made before a disruption or an emergency can make it easier to ask for help, or offer help when it’s needed.
Start building resilience in your community with these quick tips:
- Start with a friendly wave and say hello. Talking about the weather can help start a conversation.
- Create a shared contact list so you can stay connected during good times, and bad times.
- Set up a buddy system for things like getting the mail when you’re out of town, or for checking in on each other during a heat wave.
Keep Up to Date
Emergency Management Committee
Committee membership consists of the Mayor and has advisory members, who are the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), and the Director Emergency Management (DEM), along with administrative support. The committee advises and reports to Town Council on the development of emergency plans and programs within the municipality.
Emergency Coordination Centre (ECC)
The ECC uses the Incident Command System and is established to support the Incident Command Post for large or long duration emergency events and consists of groups of people who carry out Council's statutory powers and obligations and mitigate the emergency. Staff from all sections of the Town of Cochrane, including Fire Services, RCMP, social services, transportation, operational services, municipal enforcement and outside government agencies, like Alberta Health Services (public health and EMS) make up members.
Find out more about Alberta's Emergency Management Agency online.