- You Are Here:
- Waste and Recycling
- Black Cart
Black carts are collected weekly on your set collection day
Black carts are for garbage which includes everything that can't be recycled or isn't organic.
If excess waste/recycling/organics becomes an issue, the Eco Centre will accept these streams.
If you have excess waste you have 3 options:
1. Purchase Town of Cochrane excess waste bags, put your waste in the bags and place the bag 1 metre away from your waste cart on your collection day. Bags can be purchased at the Cochrane RancheHouse, Visitor Information Centre or at the Cochrane Eco Centre during regular operational hours for $3.50 each.
2. The Cochrane Eco Centre accepts clear bagged household waste for $3/bag. All recycling and organics must be removed prior to disposal.
3. If you have excess waste on a regular basis you can make arrangements for an additional waste cart; a set up fee and an additional monthly charge will apply. Please contact Waste and Recycling for more information.
A $55 set up fee and $15/month collection fee will be charged to all households who require an additional waste cart. To learn more or set up additional waste cart services please contact Waste & Recycling.
- What goes in the black cart?
Waste is any material that isn't organic and can't be recycled.
- Regular household garbage, furnace & water filters, garden hoses
- Diapers & baby wipes, bandages, dental floss, razors, makeup, toothbrushes, toothpaste, twist ties
- Non-recyclable packaging, bows, ribbons, Christmas ornaments, hangers (metal & plastic)
- Mixed material items (eg. broken toys containing metal, plastic, rubber, cloth) that can’t be separated
- Balloons, chalk, crayons, felt, gum, tape, photos, chip bags, candy wrappers, plastic straws & cutlery
- Cassette tapes, CD’s, mirrors, rope, rubber bands, stickers, yarn
- Ceramic or pottery dishes, pillows, scouring pads, soap, sponges, swiffer dusters, tarps, tiles
- Household project waste - small enough to fit into a bag in your cart: carpet, rug, treated wood, wall paper, blinds
- How do I use my cart?
- be rolled out by 7am; and
- have 1 metre perimeter of space around each; and
- have the lid closed; and
- have the wheels of the cart on the curb (front of the house) or wheels of the cart on the edge of the alley; and
- be free of contamination (items in the wrong cart or not prepared properly).
- What if I missed collection?
If your cart met all requirements but was not collected please call us at 403-851-2277 with your name, address, phone number and colour of cart missed. We will call you back by the next business day.
- What if I have excess waste?
Excess waste bags are available to purchase for $3 each and they should be left 1m away from your waste cart on collection day.