Compliance Certificates

As part of a real estate transaction, your lending agency may request a compliance certificate from the municipality to certify that the property meets applicable conditions and bylaws.

Compliance verification includes:

  • Review of the regulations in Cochrane's Land Use Bylaw for various types of improvements on the land (i.e. house, deck, garage etc.), including setbacks and parking
  • Review of encroachments into easements, rights-of-way and municipal properties (i.e. roads, lanes and parks, etc.)
  • Ensuring applicable permits were issued for structures on-site (eg. house, garage, shed, deck)

Verification does not include:

  • Review of fences or walls between private property owners
  • Completion of building permit requirements under the Alberta Building Code

Thinking about requesting a compliance certificate?

Step 1: Fill out a Compliance Certificate Application Form

Step 2: Submit your application form with the following to

  • PDF copy of the Real Property Report (no more than 365 days old)
  • encroachment agreement (if applicable)
  • the appropriate fee (listed on the application form)
    • acceptable methods of payment are: in-person debit, cheque, Visa or Mastercard or credit card over the phone

What happens next?
If we require clarification or a revised RPR, we will contact you and/or the surveyor.
Once we conclude our review we will email you the results. The average processing time is five business days.