Claims and Insurance 


A claim is any situation or loss where an individual feels that they have suffered an injury or damage as a result of the actions of the Town of Cochrane and/or its employees. Anyone can pursue a claim; however, it does not guarantee that you will be paid for damages stated in the claim.

We recommend you contact your insurance company for advice on how to deal with injury or damage first. Your insurance coverage may be more extensive than what you can recover from the Town of Cochrane. If your insurer believes Cochrane was responsible for your damage, they may seek compensation on your behalf.

The Town of Cochrane will only provide compensation when it is found legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the tax paying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

If your claim is denied

If records show that service levels and a reasonable standard of care were met, your claim may be denied. The results of the investigation along with supporting evidence justifying the denial will be provided to you.

Claim submission procedure

  1. Download a Claim/Incident Report Form and complete as instructed, attaching all relevant information, estimates and photos as applicable. Forms may also be obtained by emailing or calling 403-851-2500 and asking for the Risk Management Advisor.
  2. Submit the completed claims package by email, mail, or hand deliver to: 
                 Town of Cochrane - Legislative Services:
                 101 Ranchehouse Road, Cochrane, AB T4C 2K8
                 ATT: Risk Management Advisor 
  3. Receipt of a claims package will be acknowledged within two (2) business days.
  4. Claims will be investigated to determine whether the municipality was negligent and whether liability for the damage might lie with the Town of Cochrane.
  5. A written or email response advising of the decision and/or next steps will be provided within 30 days of receipt of a completed claims package. 
  6. Depending on the nature of your claim, an adjuster appointed by Cochrane’s insurer may also contact you.

How long do I have to submit my claim?

Limitation periods for claims against municipalities are governed by the Municipal Government Act:

Snow, slush and ice – 21 days
Road repairs or non-repair – 30 days 
All other actions – 2 years

Incident Information

  1. Motor Vehicle Collisions
  2. Bodily Injury
  3. Property Damage
  4. Water/Sewer/Flood
  5. Municipal Trees

Report the claim to your insurance company regardless of who was at fault. Liability is determined in part by insurance companies. 

Effective January 1, 2022, Alberta implemented Direct Compensation for Property Damage (DCPD). This means that drivers claim from their own insurer instead of claiming damages from the at-fault driver’s insurance. The Insurance Bureau of Canada has more information on their website.

If the total damage to all vehicles and property appears to be more than $2,000, a Collision Report Form must also be filed with the RCMP.

Municipal employees are not permitted to discuss the circumstances of accidents nor liability with other parties.

Should you wish to pursue a claim, please follow the Claim Submission procedure.