Centre Ave - Phase 3
Center Avenue Phase 3 involves widening the portion of Centre Avenue from Powell Street to 1st Street including the 1st Street intersection. The project includes the relocation of franchise utilities such as gas, power and telecommunications that are conflicting with roadway construction as well as land acquisition on the west portion of Centre Avenue to allow the road widening. This project is proposed to be funded from off-site levy debt (54%) and the MSI/LGFF grant (46%) for the non-growth portion.
- Sept 29, 2023:Regrettably, inclement weather, courtesy of Mother Nature, has disrupted our paving schedule, resulting in a slight postponement in the projected opening date of Oct 1 for E/W traffic open on First Street & Centre Ave south of First Street.Our construction teams estimate that this will extend the opening date of these roads by a few days, weather permitting. Crews are doing all they can to finish this work and minimize delays.The intersection of Centre Ave and First Street remains closed as work continues on the underground utilities. We will provide an update on this stretch once more information is available.Please stay tuned for further updates, and we will keep you informed as more information becomes available.
- Sept 26, 2023: Crews are busy at the intersection of Centre Avenue and First Street, and you are probably where we are at with the work:• Concrete pours are now underway for curbs and sidewalks.• Most of the intersection is on track to open Oct 1 including E/W traffic open on First Street & Centre Ave south of First Street.• Utility conflicts were identified on the north leg of the intersection, we are working to address this and get the stretch of Centre Avenue between First Street and William open as soon as we can.Your patience is appreciated.
- Sept 8, 2023:
- We're pleased to announce the successful completion of the recent water main tie-in at Centre Avenue and 1st Street. Thank you for your cooperation in conserving water, which was instrumental in retaining reservoir levels and ensuring a smooth transition during the project.
- The intersection closure remains on schedule, subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
- Crews are working on utility improvements along Centre Ave. Shallow utility work continues for new streetlights, traffic signals, and preparation for Fortis to underground overhead lines.
- We appreciate the adherence to detour routes, heeding the guidance of our flaggers and signage, and the patience the community has shown throughout this process.
- Aug 29, 2023: 🚧 Date Confirmation: Centre Ave and 1st St Intersection Closure 🚧
The intersection is scheduled to close tomorrow (Aug 30) for approximately four weeks. We recognize the significance of this intersection as a vital corridor in our community. While this closure might impact routes, please rest assured that the enhancements we're implementing are aimed at improving your travel experiences in the long run.
With the new school year approaching, we understand that the timing of this closure may raise concerns for parents and students alike. We have been in close communication with local schools to coordinate the construction schedule and minimize disruptions during drop-off and pick-up times. Safety remains our top priority, and we are working diligently to ensure a smooth transition for students and parents during this period.
Here's the great news – your favorite local businesses are ready to serve you without interruption! Even as we work on upgrading the intersection, these establishments remain open and eager to welcome you.
Established detour routes and signage will be in place to help residents and visitors navigate around the temporary closure.
Schedules are subject to change depending on the weather. Please follow posted detours and instructions from flaggers.
Stay tuned for more updates as we move forward. We truly value your understanding and partnership as we work together to make our community even better.
- Aug 21, 2023:
• Sidewalks will be closed this week on the west side of Centre Avenue for concrete removal in preparation for road widening. Pedestrians should use First Avenue.
• A new temporary access to the Post Office will be established and opened approx. Aug 28. This access is located on Centre Avenue between the train tracks and First Street.
• Construction is continuing along First Street at River Avenue ongoing. Access to River Avenue is now open between First Street and Railway Street.
Detours are in place, please follow directional signs. Traffic patterns may change daily, please follow directions from flaggers and signage.
- Aug 2023: With the improvements to Highway 1A nearing completion, the Town is now focused on the next phase of the Centre Avenue upgrades.
What you should expect to see in the upcoming weeks:
- The intersection at Centre Ave and First Street requires a full closure to remove and replace both the water main and storm system infrastructure.
- This closure is scheduled to start August 30, weather permitting, and take approximately four weeks to complete.
- We recognize this will impact traffic and ask for your support and patience as we complete this important work.
- During this closure, crews will also upgrade East Cochrane’s storm system.
- March 2023: Project kicked off. Arborist removed trees on the NW and NE corners of the Centre Avenue and First Street intersection, highlighted on the MAP.
Centre Avenue Phase 3 is part of the 4-phase transportation improvement plan to increase the level of service in Cochrane's Historic Downtown. The overall project includes corridor improvements to Highway 1A and Centre Avenue. This project involves adding lanes to provide two through lanes each in all directions. Phase 1 of the Centre Avenue improvement project was completed in 2020 from Highway 1A to 2nd Street. Phase 2 of the project was undertaken in 2022 between 2nd Street and Powell Street.
Increased community connectivity
This project supports Council's Strategic goals of livability, connectivity and vibrant economy. This project will build on the foundation of financial and environmental stewardship, and built environment.
What is happening on this site?
On this site you are seeing two projects underway, Centre Ave Phase 3, and East End Storm Improvements Project.
Center Avenue Phase 3 involves widening the portion of Centre Avenue from Powell Street to 1st Street including the 1st Street intersection. The project includes the relocation of franchise utilities such as gas, power and telecommunications that are conflicting with roadway construction as well as land acquisition on the west portion of Centre Avenue to allow the road widening. As Centre Avenue widening progresses during the 2023 construction season, Cochrane has an opportunity to adjust drainage catchment boundaries and improve the stormwater level of service through the Historic Downtown.
This work will:
- Increase connectivity through one of Cochrane’s main corridors. The overall 4-phase Centre Ave project includes corridor improvements to Highway 1A and Centre Avenue, adding lanes to provide two through lanes each in all directions.
- Reduce drainage demands on the Historic Downtown system
- Provide servicing opportunities for redevelopment in the East End
How long will the intersection be closed?
This closure started on August 30, and will take approximately four weeks to complete, weather permitting.
Why are you closing the intersection?
The intersection at Centre Ave and First Street requires a full closure to remove and replace both the water main and storm system infrastructure.
How do I travel through the area?
During the closure, detour routes will be clearly marked to ensure minimal disruptions to your daily commute. While we understand that the detours may add some extra time to your travel, we are committed to maintaining efficient traffic flow while the work is underway.
Why was the closure delayed?
The initial plan was to complete the work on the intersection prior to school opening. However, crews discovered that additional work was needed to complete the stormwater pipeline installation along First Street East.
Because of the unforeseen work along First Street, the closure of the intersection was delayed to minimize the time the closure is in effect and to ensure public safety.
How do I get to my school?
We have been in close communication with local schools to coordinate the construction schedule and minimize disruptions during drop-off and pick-up times. Flaggers will be on-site to direct parents during drop-off and pick-up to direct parents on established detour routes. Please contact the school for further details regarding planned routes.
How will emergency vehicles get through the area?
Emergency access is always top priority and has been in place throughout the project. Throughout construction, Emergency Services are actively engaged in regular project updates to ensure that emergency access remains unhampered, as public safety remains our foremost priority.
Local businesses remain open during construction. Established detour routes and signage will be in place to help residents and visitors navigate around the temporary closure.