The federal goverment is making plans to legalize and regulate cannabis in Canada, with legislation scheduled to take this year. Overview of legislative responsibilities.
The Province of Alberta has regulated the consumption of cannabis with the main focus on protection of youth and limiting exposure to second-hand smoke. Municipalities must uphold and enforce these restrictions.
The Provincial Act – Bill 26: An Act to Control and Regulate Cannabis has restricted smoking or vaping of cannabis in any public place where tobacco is restricted, and in the following places:
- On any hospital property, school property or child care facility property
- From any motor vehicle, with the exemption of those being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV
- In or within a prescribed distance from:
- A playground
- A sports or playing field
- A skateboard or bicycle park
- An outdoor pool or splash pad
- Anywhere smoking or vaping tobacco is already restricted
The Town of Cochrane is responding to the change in a number of ways:
|Area of focus||Tool||Details|
|Retailers who want to sell cannabis||Land Use Bylaw amendment|