Open Tuesday to Saturday 10am-6pm.
This self-sorting facility is located at 50 Griffin Industrial Point. Attendants are on-site at all times. Please ensure all recyclables are clean and loose.
- Newspaper & newsprint
- Cardboard - clean and dry cardboard, corrugated cardboard, boxes & tubes, egg cartons
Mixed paper - coloured paper, wrapping paper, brown paper, envelopes (except bubble), junk mail, magazines, phone books, office paper, shredded paper (in a plastic bag tied closed).
- Plastic bags & film - plastic wrap, plastic film, re-sealable bags, grocery bags
- Metal & tin - tin food cans, tin foil & pie plates, scrap metal
- Mixed plastics - plastic jugs & bottles, tubs, pails & clamshell containers
- Beverage containers - Pop, beer, water, wine & juice bottles, milk and juice cartons and tetra packs
- Glass & jars - food bottles & jars. No ceramics, pottery, mirrors, light bulbs or windshields.
- Automotive waste - vehicle batteries, used motor oil & antifreeze, used oil filters & containers (up to 40 L of used oil per household per week)
- E-Waste - monitors, laptops, printers, faxes, cables, mice, keyboards, TV's....anything with an electrical cord.
- Miscellaneous - cell phones, eyeglasses, rechargeable & alkaline household batteries, fluorescent tubes, CFLs (please handle all bulbs with mercury carefully). Please note that for fluorescent tubes drop off (more than 4 tubes) there is a charge of $0.3/ft.
- Book exchange - trade your old but readable books for new ones.
- Clothing - gently used and clean clothes, blankets, towels, linen and shoes.
- Bicycles - Bicycles donated are free for the taking.
- Food Waste Composting - Bring food waste to the Cochrane Eco Centre where it will be turned into high quality garden and landscape compost. Please bring your food waste in a sealed bucket or certified compostable bag and empty into the designated bin.
- Christmas trees - please remove all tree bags, tinsel, decorations and lights
Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) - For residents of the Town of Cochrane only
- packing foam
- packing foam peanuts (must be bagged)
- foam serving ware: cups, plates, take-out containers, meat trays, egg cartons
- all foam must be clean of residue and free of tape/labels
- no spray foam, textile, furniture or insulation foam
- film foam goes with plastic bags
Car Seats and Booster Seats
Child car seats and booster seats are accepted for recycling year round at no charge. Please remove the straps, fabric and metal pieces; the plastic car seat can then be deposited in the mixed plastic bin.
Special Waste Programs
The Town of Cochrane provides a variety of special waste services including an appliance drop-off program and household hazardous waste and paint drop-off program.
Seasonal Yard Waste Programs
Leaves, grass, garden debris, tree trimmings and branches go in the yard waste bin. This bin will be open for the season at the beginning of April 2019. Drop off runs from April until mid-November each year. There are no bags allowed in the leaves and grass bins. If you come with bags, please dump the leaves and grass into the bin and either recycle or reuse your bags.
The Town of Cochrane no longer has access to a local “clean fill” site for the disposal of sod, rocks and soil. Residents wishing to dispose of this material need to haul it to a Calgary landfill (April - November) or use their curbside organics carts (up to 10kg per week in the cart).
We also accept pumpkins after Halloween and Christmas trees after Christmas.
Please note the Eco Centre accepts VISA, Mastercard, debit and cash payments.
|Appliance||Fee (per appliance)|
|Appliances containing Freon - fridges, freezers, water coolers, air conditioners||$40|
|Large appliances - stoves, dishwashers, washers, dryers, furnace||$30|
|Small appliances - microwaves, hot water tanks||$15|
Appliances are also accepted at the City of Calgary landfills as well as some private scrap dealers. This program is year-round.
Household Hazardous Waste & Paint Drop-off
Round up all of those household chemicals in your basement, garage and shed and bring them to the Cochrane Eco Centre for proper disposal.
Household Hazardous Waste program is not available for commercial firms.
Important: please ensure your household chemicals are clearly labelled, sealed properly and, if possible, in the original containers.
All purpose cleaners, ammonia, bleach, disinfectants, drain / toilet cleaner, window cleaner, pool and
hot tub cleaner, oven cleaner, shoe polish, spot remover are all accepted.
Ant / rodent killers, fertilizers, insecticides, weed killers.
Hobby and Home Products
- Aerosol containers - empty or full
- Air fresheners, glues and cements, hair colouring
- BBQs (Remove tanks, hoses, plastic)
- Laundry fabric softener, starch and stain remover
- Nail polish and remover
- Thermometers / thermostats
- Propane tanks - all sizes
Brake / transmission fluids, car waxes and polishes, gasoline, rust inhibitors / removers, solvents,
windshield washer solutions up to 5 L per household per week.
- Aerosol paints and sprays
- Alkyd, latex and oil based paints
- Enamels, lacquers, stains and varnishes
- Paint thinner, strippers and solvents
- Primers, undercoats and water repellent sealers
- Porch, floor, deck, fence and barn paints
- Wood finishing oils, stains and preservatives (not containing pesticides)
Paint drop off is limited to 20 L/week/household.
Those who use needles for medical purposes may dispose of them safely at Cochrane pharmacy locations. Needles must be in a sealed, puncture proof container with a tight fitting lid.
Dispose of extra bagged household waste and miscellaneous small waste items (broken lawn chairs, old garden hoses etc.) for a small fee of $3 per bag or $30 per truckload. Waste must be contained within a clear or semi-transparent bag. Bags must be transparent enough to allow the Eco Centre attendant to determine if a bag contains recyclable or organic material. No recyclable or organic material will be accepted in PAYT. This program runs all year at the Eco Centre.
The closest landfill to Cochrane is the City of Calgary Spyhill Landfill, located at 69th Street and 112 Avenue NW in Calgary. For more information, visit the City of Calgary Waste and Recycling Services website or view the landfill rates online.
Cochrane also supports other local waste and recycling enterprises such as Cochrane Bottle Depot, Home Treasures, Home Reno Heaven and Trailblazers.
Reminder the following Cochrane Eco Centre Site Rules apply:
1. The Seasonal Yard Waste program is not available for commercial firms, landscape or maintenance companies.
2. Tree trimmings and branches must be sorted separately from grass clippings and leaves, and; deposited into the correct bin. Maximum branch/tree diameter is 15 cm and length is 1.5 metres.
3. Yard Waste load sizes are limited to 1/2 a level pick up truck load (standard level 6 ft box)/user/week due to limited site capacity. Bags are not permitted in the cages - please dump the contents out of all bags. The site operator may restrict the acceptance of any load at their discretion if the site capacity is at risk. A reminder that the intention of the Cochrane Eco Centre is to provide recycling drop off services for small volumes of recyclables; large loads should utilize facilities designed to accommodate large loads such as ECCO, City of Calgary Landfills, Cascades Recovery, Recycling Worx and Capital Paper.