Please have carts out by 7am on collection day with 1 metre of space on all sides and lids closed.
Residential Blue Cart Audit
The Town of Cochrane is conducting a contents audit of residential recycling blue carts to assess the current contamination levels – these are items which should be in the waste or organics carts – and educate residents on what is considered contamination.
To maintain the market standards for recycled materials and keep costs low, it is essential that residents put the right materials in the right waste, recycling and organics bins.
For these purposes, the Town is procuring a third-party to conduct an audit of 10,000 blue carts in Cochrane to inform the Waste and Recycling department of the common contamination issues found and to help educate residents on how to ensure their recycling is fit for collection. The audit will begin in August 2020 and run throughout the remainder of the year.
Residents are assured that their privacy is respected. Auditors only inspect carts when put out for collection, do not remove items and do not record or share personal details.
The auditors also follow all Alberta Health guidelines and sanitize all touchpoints of the cart to reduce the potential risk of spreading COVID-19.
Types of glass not accepted:
- Mixed glass and plastic or glass and aluminum
- Small amounts of glass attached to a label
- Non-food glass (for example, candlestick base)
- Wine glass bottoms
- Styrofoam - clean white packing foam bring to the Eco Centre for recycling (coloured foam, meat trays, peanuts & egg cartons hold onto until Eco Centre accepts it again or bag & put in the garbage)
- Clothing - bring non-soiled clothing and textiles to the Eco Centre for donation
- Filters - water and furnace filters go into the garbage
- Any recyclable materials that are not reasonably clean
- Hangers - both plastic and metal hangers go in the garbage
- Electronics - bring these to the Eco Centre
- Underlay - even though it’s recyclable it cannot go in the blue cart
- Household garbage
Do you have more recycling than fits in your cart? You have two options, order a second recycling cart (one time fee $70 plus a $7.55/month collection fee) or take the excess recycling to the Eco Centre.